Laura is our experienced resident dietitian. Many of our colorectal patients benefit from dietetic input as changes in diet have been associated with improvements in gastrointestinal wellbeing, colorectal cancer prevention and alleviation of pelvic floor symptoms. As part of multidisciplinary care, Drs. Gillespie and Slack often involve Laura in the care of our patients, when appropriate. Laura is also able to see new patients or direct referrals where dietetic consultation is required; she consults at Brisbane Colorectal on Mondays.
Laura has a passion for assisting clients with gastrointestinal and chronic medical conditions to improve their health and nutrition. She has experience working as a dietitian in acute care hospitals in Australia and Canada. During her time at the Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane and Mount Sinai & St. Michael’s Hospitals, Toronto, Laura gained expertise in enteral nutrition, parenteral nutrition and the management of gastrointestinal diseases. Her work in general medical and oncology units also gave her expertise in managing nutrition for clients with complex and varied medical conditions.
Laura is passionate about providing evidence-based nutrition for her clients and has worked for the international database PEN: Practice-based Evidence in Nutrition® to develop nutrition guidance for Dietitians and health professionals.
Laura can assist with dietary management of conditions including:
- Post- gastrointestinal surgery
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Functional constipation
- Irritable bowel syndrome (including low FODMAP diet)
- Coeliac disease – new diagnosis and ongoing support
- Unintentional weight loss and malnutrition
- Enteral nutrition
Qualifications & Memberships:
- Bachelor of Health Sciences (Nutrition & Dietetics)(First Class Honors), Queensland University of Technology
- Accredited Practising Dietitian
- Member of Coeliac Society of Queensland
- Member of Crohn’s & Colitis Australia
- DAA Committee Member for Gastrointestinal Interest Group